Finding your niche is vital for writers who want to start blogging and write a non-fiction book. Though, it can be hard to get to the bottom of what that means for you, which is why I’ve written this blog post.
Here, I'll go through 3 fundamental steps to find your niche. If you want to write down your notes on physical paper, you can download this free workbook and print it out.
Sign up to receive the FREE 3 Steps to Finding Your Niche worksheets!
(When you sign up here, you will also receive monthly educational emails right into your inbox.)
All set? Great, let’s dive right in.
1. Identify your talents and skills.
One of the simplest ways to get an idea of which niche you should dive into is to identify your talents and skills. Every single one of us has some form of talent or skill, and only you can find out what that is for you.
Take 5-15 minutes to brainstorm your talents and skills. Be honest with yourself. There is a difference between the niches you are good at and those you want to be or wish you were good at. Also, make sure to get all your ideas out without focus on whether or not the talents or skills will bring you success or not. Don’t censor yourself.
2. Which of the talents and skills above are you most passionate about?
The reality is that if you want to write a book within your niche, you will spend months working with this topic. You will go through hard times and struggles (that’s just part of life). In other words, your niche needs to be something you are passionate about, enough so that you can power through the struggles and have the journey be worth it. Because, what’s the point of working with a niche you don’t even care about?
Here are some questions to help you identify your passions out of the list of talents and skills from the exercise above:
- What do you do on your spare time?
- What is constantly on your mind?
- What topics do you like to learn about most?
- What topic can’t you wait to dive deeper into?
- What niche are you most excited to write blog posts and/or books about?
- Do you already have ideas for blog posts and/or books?
3. Identify the problems you can solve with your talents and skills. What do people need you to solve?
One of the best ways to narrow down the topics you’re passionate about into a specific niche is to identify what problems your talents and skills can solve for other people.
Now is a great time to do some market research to identify the problems your target audience have. You can do this by:
- Researching keywords on Google and Amazon (Amazon is perfect if your aim is to write a book). This will help you uncover popular search terms related to your niche and the problems people are searching solutions for.
- Search through forums related to your niche and the questions people are posting. This will help you uncover which wonders and problems people want to solve.
Choose Your Niche!
If you’ve done the three steps above, you have:
- Identified your skills and talents
- Identified which skills and talents you are most passionate about
- And learned which problems your potential target audience has
And now it’s time to choose your niche.
That’s it. I hope you found this blog post helpful.